Graduate Education Workshop Series
New Perspectives on Education
A Three-Evening Workshop Series
Tackling what is behind and beyond standards, PBIS and RTI – a more complete approach to standards-based teaching.
Silver Lake College of the Holy Family presents three impactful evening sessions from 5:00 to 8:00 PM in a location near you.
Cost is $190 for one graduate credit (for eligible participants who attend all three sessions), or FREE without credit.
Don’t delay! Ensure space availability by pre-registering using the form below.
SESSION 1: LEARNING
Poverty – the Great Discriminator
Quiz yourself: do you have the skills to survive in poverty?
- Experience via simulation what poverty looks and feels like
- Discover how poverty influences our assumptions
- Examine what being poor does to kids’ brains
- Acquire five classroom success factors
Read about a recent poverty simulation exercise for Little Chute public school teachers
SESSION 2: BEHAVIOR
Creating Community – the Foundation for Positive Interventions
- Explore how to transform your classroom into a community of learners
- Identify how your learners can provide positive support for one another
- Discover how to increase
→ Student engagement
→ Time on task
→ Effective group work
→ Assignment completion
→ Listening skills
- And how to decrease
SESSION 3: ASSESSMENT
Strength-Based Teaching – Don’t Wait for the Deficits to Grow
- Examine the difference between a strength-based and a deficit approach to teaching
- Identify how you already use the six key ingredients for learning
- Data is important, but learn to ask the right questions: six essential questions that matter most
- Embrace strategies that build on student strengths
→ Multiple intelligences
→ Brain-based learning techniques
→ Problem-based learning
March 4, 5, 6, 2013 (CANCELLED)
April 2, 3, 4, 2013
Use the form below to register online.
If you answered yes to this question and have never applied for admission to Silver Lake College, please complete and submit our ONLINE ADMISSION APPLICATION when you have completed and submitted this form. You will be asked to complete a paper registration form on the last day of the workshop to apply for graduate education credit.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the workshop!